Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Pack up your troubles....

Shimelle's prompt for today is - What's in your suitcase? What are your travel essentials....

I don't do an awful lot of travelling and tend to be a 'just in case' type of person, so overdo the packing whenever I am going somewhere. Strangely enough this was one of the things mentioned about my personality type too....that we are always ready for every eventuality, but to the extent that we pack way too much stuff.
I have tried the 'capsule wardrobe' idea but it didn't really work. I can't go anywhere without at least 3 pairs of shoes - comfy everyday, comfy dressy and dressy dressy - does that make sense to anyone? Two years ago i decided I would only buy clothes in black, white, navy, pink or red and would conveniently be able to 'mix and match'! ya right! - if you are Kate Moss I think. This year I have gone against that idea and bought 'outfits' so that I have dress/skirt, top, cardigan and shoes. This makes it so much easier to decide what to wear when I get up in the morning and lets face it, that ten minutes extra in bed is worth more to me.

Back to the holiday packing....sun cream, sun hat, after sun (I am a fair haired, sun burn prone person, in case you hadn't guessed), prescription and non prescription sun glasses, swimming and non swimming swim suits (ie one for when I actually want to swim - speedo type thingy, and one for wearing sitting pretty on the beach), lots of shorts, stringy tops, flip flops - dress up version and beach version. I always pack a mini first aid kit with paracetamol, band aids, steri wipes and various dresssings. Insect repellant and some form of antiseptic cream, tickets, passport, notebook/journal to write in, travel book of area I am going to (am a Rough Guide snob), other book for general reading. I also love plastic jewellery - and love to have something to match the various 'outfits' I have for holidays - bangles, necklaces, etc. Currency, although the euro has sorted that, credit card, and emergency numbers.

Phew....and I have no plans to go anywhere this year...unless my darling hubby decides to whisk me away for my eminant (sp?) big (ish) birthday. I'm 30 in September....he's 30 in August...any suggestions of a pressie...while you are all out there?

Ooooh, I need a pic - I bought a super funky hold all a couple of weeks ago - I needed it because I haven't anything for weekends away, etc. I'll post a pic later.

No comments: