Friday, December 04, 2009

Here Come the Girls....

It's like the Boots Ad here in the office today. I'm trimming my nails while waiting for my ...slow... computer to transfer some files, hopefully resulting in a less slow computer. You can almost smell the fake tan from around the office and there's nothing but talk of hair appointments and make up and tights versus bare legs discussions...and we are not girly girls. The Office Christmas Party is on tonight. A little earlier than I would have liked and I certainly don't feel 'christmassy' enough to party, but hopefully there will be plenty of 'christmas cheer' about later and will get us in the mood. It's a smaller affair than last year - smaller numbers unfortunately, but we're counting our blessings to employ as many as we do and to still have work for everyone. One week at a time, but there are lots of people in worse positions for sure. We are going for a meal and drinks at 7 and on to a nite club - not sure if I'll remember what to do....

On top of that, today is a pretty monumental one for me. On a kind of an impulse, but decided over the past week, I got my ears pierced today. Not such a big deal to most, but when it's for the first time and you are 31, it was an interesting decision for me. My father didn't have too many rules, but one was that he didn't want us to get our ears pierced until we were at least 16, so there was no Holy Communion earrings for his 4 daughters. As a teenager I played a lot of sport and so the idea of taking in and out earrings outweighed any benefits (add to that I was a teenager in the grungy 90s when the less dressed up you looked the better - the anti-bling, we could now describe it) so I didn't bother. Ditto in college and when I had first baby, the idea of earrings which could be pulled and dragged didn't seem so good either. So, why today? I don't know, but I am now sporting some cubic zircona bling in either ear and seemingly have to leave them in for 6 weeks, which doesn't live up to my expectations of wearing fancy danglers on Christmas morning. One of my best childhood (and teenage and college and post-college) friends was with me - it was our Friday lunch-date with a twist. They asked if I was nervous but I figured after having 2 babies, ear piercing wasn't going to be much on childbirth (although technically I had 2 c-sections...but had labour for 8+ hours....so I think that counts). It all went swimmingly and there doesn't appear to be any swelling (which she didn't warn me about until after the job was done, yet only 7 before the christmas party....). I will post a pic if I can manage to get the old computer going. Must dash to get the hair done. You really might as well give everyone a half day the day of the christmas party; well at least all the girly girls....cos the amount of work that will be done here this afternoon is minimal!

No comments: