Thursday, July 21, 2011

Maps

Maps are a big part of my daily life. At work I create and consult maps for every project. We use GIS packages to create maps as if it's second nature. And yet when you think about all the work that had to be put in to create the first maps. The trigonometry. It's mind boggling.

However, the map challenge has identified in me my require to control. I almost always bring a map because I like to be in control of the journey. I don't like feeling lost and the possible associated sense of adventure. It's not for me although occasionally I'm happy to take a different route if it's with a plan to getting there faster or avoid traffic. But usually that only happens with a map so it's not about getting 'lost' rather just finding an alternative route. Deep!

No comments: